OnTheSnow uses cookies to personalize your website experience and collect statistical data. In addition, these cookies help us and our partners to better understand your use of the websites and provide tailored advertising to you. By clicking on the I accept button, you accept the use of cookies. Please refer to our Privacy Policy to find out more on how to manage your cookies preferences: Privacy Policy
Ok
New Zealand
Compare
Favorites

Related Regions: Argentina, South America, Southern Hemisphere

Reviews for Caviahue

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Caviahue that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Caviahue stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Caviahue review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Caviahue vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: Pat Wright - 10th May 2009

• 5Family Friendly
  • 1Aprés Ski
  • 2Terrain Park
  • Overall Value
Spectacular scenery, warm people, excellent snow, remote. great ski touring
lift served terrain smallish and limited

Full review

I have been to Caviahue 3 times in maybe 7 years. I love the place it is incredibly beautiful and friendly. I am an alpine ski tourer and there are all kinds of places to gofro me. There are hot springs, waterfalls and a big volcano crater erupting. On my first visit the Volcano had erupted and covered the town in a foot of ash just after a 3 meter snowfall. It looked like Pompeii but the locals were cheerful and although they couldn't get the lifts running due to the ash i still skied all over in the back country. The locals are really great here. They love the mountains and showing you what they have. For a guide I heartily recommend local boy Canichi (just ask anywhere in town. He guides anything outdoors especially extreme sports. His hostel is really warm and friendly too. beside skiing, XC skiing , winter hiking and hot springs you can also snowmobile. There are quite a number of comfortable lodgings. Maybe the best and one of the newest is the family run Kallfu lodge. It is very comfortable and the food si great. Avoid like the plague the Hotel Farallon. Although it is ski in/out it is incredibly run down. There are some very atractive cabins up by the lifts. There isn't any nightlife but occasionally there is an event at the town gym or at the ski hill. This are gets more consistent snow than any other Argentine area. It shares weather with Chillan in Chile. Its far enough south to be in the moisture and its high enough to be in the cold. And when it snows you can still ski because most of the hill is forested with beautiful araucaria trees. The nuts from these pines are delicious.

• Pat Wright (10th May 2009)

• touch-snow.ch (11th September 2008)

i completely agree with the review before, but: the hot springs in copahue are closed during wintertime (june-september). the ski resort is...

• southamerica (5th June 2008)

I was in Caviahue in 2004 and really liked the resort. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever...

Rate This Resort

Share your experience at this resort to help other skiers.

• Family Friendly
  • Beginner
  • Intermediate
  • Expert

Select Your Overall Rating:

Snow Report and Powder Alerts!

By subscribing you agree to our terms and conditions

NOTE: If you represent the management of this property and would like to respond to a review, please use the management response form.